Miles to Go Before I Sleep

Welcome! This is the blog for my book, "Miles to Go Before I Sleep" and a forum for those who have been touched by cancer. Make comments or share your story, tips or lessons to inspire readers not only to survive but to live each day to the fullest.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Goodbye, Madrid

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Goodbye, Madrid


1

Goodbye-
Old, restored building with columns
soaring to blue skys
capped with domes and horses and bells
that toll for me

2

Goodbye-
Young girls, quick teens, sweet teens
with smooth faces like a baby's bottom
with small abs and jeweled navels above jeans clinging
tightly to bone hips and moist places
attired like strippers from red-light districts
but smiles like cinnamon, charm so innocent
you want to buy them ice cream and send them home to mother

Goodbye-
Old men and women, goodby, gracious, loving couple,
holding hands while strolling narrowded, crowded streets
watchful as she shifts her shawl
smiling between taps from his cane.

3

Goodbye-

Liana Cafe, goodbye cafe owner
on narrow street off Plaza Mayor
wearing smudged apron, clear eyes and broad smile
Jesting that my espano is worse than "your Mr. Bush"
Slapping my shoulder into a narrow street, saying
"Gracia! Gracias! Gracias por su visita!"

Goodbye-
Banker, short, balding Spaniard with deep-set eyes who
with bank closed, unlocked the front door
to apologize to this Black man, to say
"Come back next morning. I assist you."
(Won't nobody happen in US!).

4

Goodbye, Madrid
Good friends with deep-set eyes and open hearts
My home awaits a tired but sated traveler
with strolling feet swollen but low spirits lifted
eyes brightened, heart soothed


Adios!

2 Comments:

  • At 8:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a wonderful trip. You made Madrid real as I read your updates. I could see what you saw, smell the food, hear the music. It may be hard to say good-bye to Madrid, but we look forward to having you back. I envy your spirit being lifted and heart soothed.

     
  • At 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree. I too feel like I've journeyed to Madrid through your pictures and stories. It may be difficult to say farewell, but know that we look forward to the sharing of your smile as you tell stories and more pictures of your trip with the magnetizable imagery we've come to know so well. Through this (and maybe a glass of good Spanish wine), you can s-t-e-t-c-h the essence of your experience out a lot longer.

    Be well and have a safe trip home.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home