Miles to Go Before I Sleep

Welcome! This is the blog for my book, "Miles to Go Before I Sleep" and a forum for those who have been touched by cancer. Make comments or share your story, tips or lessons to inspire readers not only to survive but to live each day to the fullest.

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Where do you want to travel this summer?

Listen: I want to ask you a question: Aren't you tired of the same routine, getting up in the morning and going to work and coming home in the evening, eating dinner and dozing off to lame jokes by either Leno or Letterman?

Aren't you sick and tired of being sick and tired of The Prez trying to fix the economy and 8 years of absolutely terrible foreign policy only to be harassed and strangled by right-wing Republicans whose physical features and dinosaur politics seem older than Moses' sermon on the mount?


Don't you think that even Ray Charles on heroin or Steven Wonder with braids shielding his eyes can see that you need to call a moratorium on all life as routine, all politics as b.s., and all stress and strain of go-get-em city life and get away?

But where do you want to travel this summer?


Well, I want to go to Ireland or Ghana. But, most of all, I want to go back to Madrid, Spain. I was there a few years ago and couldn't believe how well I was treated and how comfortable I felt there.

First, wherever I went, I was given a smile that seemed genuine.

Second, I was treated as a person, not a stereotype based on "other" preconceptions--as in possible robber, rapist, thug or Negro who is "an exception to your race." As a black man, to be treated as an individual and not a stereotype was very important to me.

Third, and this was unbelievable, the police looked out for me. They were concerned about pick pockets and protected him and other tourists from them. I heard that the government looks out for the tourist-- tries to make sure it's a good experience, so they'll come back. Still, it was some good looking out.

Fourth, they laughed at my pathetic attempt to speak Espano but, in the end, smiled and patted me on the back for trying, saying, as I left, "Thanks for visiting. Come back again."


As I sat in the plane waiting for it to lift off, I drafted this travel poem to say thanks to the people of Madrid who welcomed me with open arms and made me feel like more than a stereotype or tourist. They made me feel like a man:

**********************************************************************

Goodbye, Madrid

1

Goodbye-
Old, restored building, and columns soaring
to blue skies capped with domes and horses and
bells that toll for me

2

Goodbye-
Young girls, quick teens, sweet teens with smooth faces like
a baby's bottom, with small abs and be-jeweled navels above
jeans clinging tightly to bone hips and moist places and
attired like strippers from red-light districts but smiles like
cinnamon and a charm so innocent you want to
buy them ice cream and
send them home to mother

3

Goodbye-
Old men and women, goodbye, loving couple, holding
hands while strolling narrow, crowded streets
watchful as she shifts her shawl, smiling between
taps from his cane.

3

Goodbye-

Liana Cafe, goodbye cafe owner on narrow street off
Plaza Mayor, wearing smudged apron, clear eyes and a
broad smile, jesting
The Daddy's espano' is "worse than your Mr. Bush," slapping

a brotha's broad shoulders into a narrow street, saying
"Gracias! Gracias! Gracias, por su visita!"

Goodbye-
Banker, short and balding and eyes deep-set eyes who
with
bank closed, unlocked the front door to apologize, to
say
,"Come back next morning. I assist you."
(Won't happen in US!).

4

Goodbye, Madrid
Good friends with deep-set but nice warm eyes and
open hearts

Goodbye. The Daddy's home awaits a tired but sated traveler
with strolling feet swollen but low spirits lifted and
heart soothed

Adios!
**************

Where do you want to travel this summer?

5 Comments:

  • At 4:34 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I would like to take a seven day cruise to the Mediterranean.
    Or visit Paris

     
  • At 11:34 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Worthy thought provoking! Me; I'd like to go back to Glastonbury for the summer. No politics on the international front, just the gossipy old witches and wizards. Lovely floral smells, generations strong... lovely old hills to walk up and down... lovely old legends to ponder. That's where I'd go. but! I'm stuck in the midst of the Mean Season down south in FL. And listening to bad politics. Ah, well, as I said! A worthy post! Good thoughts!

     
  • At 2:55 PM, Blogger mr. nichols said…

    very interesting. my wife and i were just watching Vicky Christina Barcelona last night and she was just saying how much she wants to go to Spain now. and then i stumble upon your great blog. hmm.

     
  • At 7:55 PM, Blogger Mac Daddy Tribute Blog said…

    Mr. Nichols, I really hope you get to Spain. As you can tell, I loved it. Blessings.

     
  • At 11:16 AM, Blogger Vigilante said…

    I liked this picture of you, Mac. It's got 'tude. I almost published it, but it was too small by the time I cropped it....!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home